As we know it today, the Boxer was first imported to the U.S. after World War I but didn’t reach any substantial degree of popularity until the late 1930s.
It has known that Boxer was the first working dog for the police.
Boxers are large, muscular, square-headed dogs. They are playful and clever and patient with children, and protective of their loved ones, making them a popular choice for families.
As a canine nutritionist, I know the importance of balanced nutrition for all pets. It is so important to get the balance right from the very start. Some dog breeds are prone to health problems later on in life. A good, balanced diet is the first stepping stone for a healthy and happy dog.
Best Dog Food For Boxers and Nutritional needs
When considering the best dog food for Boxer, we need to consider their breed specifics.
These canines are working dogs, so a high-energy grub is essential.
Boxers need high-quality protein and medium fat content to satisfy their caloric needs.
Unfortunately, the Boxer breed is prone to cancers and heart disease in their mid-life, so good quality food should be given from puppy age.
They have one of the longest childhoods in the canine community. Boxers aren’t considered fully mature until they are three years old, meaning they have one of the longest puppyhoods in the world of dogs.
At every life stage dogs, nutritional needs might change.
What breed specifics do I need to consider with my Boxer dog?
The Boxer is a large dog with a muscular and compact body with strong bones. He has a compelling and vital aspect and is an animal with a lot of energy. But the outer strength should not deceive us, as we must be aware that this breed of dog has some health problems inherited by genetic selection.
Bones: Boxers can suffer from hip dysplasia and sometimes have particular problems with the spine.
Digestive System: This dog breed is prone to inflammation and other stomach ailments, making its nutrition touchy. They are also at risk of stomach twisting, given the deep morphology of their chest.
Heart: Sometimes, the Boxer manifests some anomalies in the chambers and valves of the heart, such as dilated cardiomyopathy, so it is necessary to feed them with nutrients that strengthen their heart system.
All in all, the Boxer is one of the most desired breeds by dog lovers, and the food you feed your Boxer can be one of the keys to maintaining optimal health.
I have reviewed the 6 top choices for the best dog food for Boxers.
See my top choices below:
6 Best Dog Food For Boxers
Best Dog Food For Boxers Wet Formula
Best Dog Food for Boxers Overall
Best Dog Food For Boxers Runner Up
Best Dog Food For Boxers Puppies
Best Dog Food For Boxers Adults
Best DogFood For Boxers Seniors
Best dog food for Boxers review:
All dog food for Boxers included in this list is within the standard of AAFCO and AAHA guidelines. It is always advisable to speak with your dog’s veterinarian before changing your dog’s diet, as is who will understand and be able to assess the needs of your beloved four-legged friend correctly.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Chicken & Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food
Top 5 ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Dried Peas, Soybean Meal, Whole Ground Corn
Gluten-Free, No poultry by-product meal, fillers, wheat or wheat gluten, artificial colors, or preservatives
Crude protein 26.05 min, Crude Fat 14.0% min, Crude fiber 4.0% max,
Moisture 10.0% max
326kcal/ 8oz cup
Overall adult needs
- Real U.S. farm-raised chicken is the #1 ingredient in this natural food for dogs of all stages.
- Rich in wholesome fibre from brown rice and beet pulp, which also provides prebiotics. They both work together to help support a healthy digestive system.
- Peas and carrots are excellent sources of vitamins and minerals that provide your pet with the nutrition they need.
- Poultry fat provides natural sources of omega fatty acids to aid in healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Made in The USA
Purina Beneful Healthy Puppy with Farm-Raised Chicken Dry Dog Food
Top 5 ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Soybean Meal
Whatever your dog’s breed, the first thing to consider is his age. If it is a Boxer puppy or young, between 2 and 15 months, he will have specific nutritional requirements.
Crude Protein 28.0% min, Crude Fat 14.0% min, Crude Fiber 4.0% max, Moisture 14.0% max
- Real U.S. farm-raised chicken is the #1 ingredient with 28.0%
- Natural dog food– no artificial flavours or preservatives.
- Rich in calcium to help support strong bones and teeth.
- DHA (omega-3 fatty acid) helps support his brain and vision development.
- The mini bites are perfectly sized for the puppy’s small mouth to easily manage.
- Includes high-protein to help build and maintain strong muscles.
- Contains 23 essential vitamins and minerals to maintain overall health.
Purina Pro Plan Adult Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
Top 5 ingredients:
Chicken, Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Poultry By-product Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Soybean Meal
Crude protein 26.0% min, Crude Fat 16.0% min, Crude fiber 3.0% max, Moisture 12.0% max
- Real chicken as the first ingredient– a good and plenty of protein is crucial for a working dog like Boxer. Protein is best known for supplying amino acids to build hair, skin, nails, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage. It also plays a main role in hormone production.
- Pack contains hard and tender bits for a great texture. Making your dog’s food bowl more adventurous and exciting.
- Prebiotic– added to benefit your dog’s intestinal flora and good digestion.
- Omega 6 and Vitamin to promote healthy coat and skin.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Senior Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
Top 5 ingredients:
Deboned Chicken, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Meal
No Corn No Wheat No Soy
Crude protein 20.0% min, Crude fat 10.0% min, Crude fiber 7.0% max, Moisture 10.0% max
As Boxer dogs reach old age, it is essential to adjust the diet given to your dog. Senior Boxers might suffer from joint pain, and their activity levels might not be as high as they used to be.
Blue buffalo life Protection formula contains all necessary nutrients and minerals for the best dog food for senior Boxer dogs:
- Glucosamine and chondroitin: joint health
- Omega 3 and 6- healthy skin and coat
- Contains carbohydrates: for energy supply
- Vitamins: contains calcium, phosphorus and essential vitamins for stronger bones and teeth
- Antioxidants: blueberries and cranberries for immune health.
Royal Canin Boxer Loaf in Sauce Canned Dog Food
Top 5 ingredients:
Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken By-Products, Pork By-Products, Pork Liver, Chicken Liver
Muscle Care, Heart Care, Appetite Stimulation
Crude protein 7.0% min, Crude Fat 4.5% min, Crude fiber 2.7% max, Moisture 80.0% max
Pups over 15 months old
- Uniquely formulated to give Boxers over 15 months old the key nutrients that they need to thrive.
- Easy-to-digest protein and high-quality fat promote the maintenance of strong, lean muscle mass.
- Supports cardiac health in Boxers with ideal levels of sodium, taurine, L-carnitine and other essential amino acids.
Buying Guide of Best Dog food for Boxers
How to transition my boxers diet to a new brand?
Whatever the reason is for change, you should always consult with a veterinarian before transitioning your pet to a new diet. Dogs and cats can experience an upset stomach if you don’t transition them to a new food gradually. Transitioning too quickly can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, or even loss of appetite. (1)
The transition needs to happen gradually, over 6-10 days. We are progressively mixing the new food with the old.
How much to feed my boxer?
A puppy has to be fed 4-5 times a day a small amount of food. If a significant portion is given, the puppy might experience tummy upset.
When a Boxer reaches adulthood and older age, dogs can feed them 1-2 times a day. The frequency of meals will depend on the individual dog’s preference.
|Weight||Medium Activity Daily Feeding (cup)||High Activity Daily Feeding (cup)|
|52.9 LBS||3 7/8||4 1/2|
|57.3 LBS||4 1/8||4 3/4|
|61.7 LBS||4 3/8||5|
|66.1 LBS||4 1/2||5 1/4|
|70.5 LBS||4 3/4||5 1/2|
|75 LBS||5||5 3/4|
The above table is only a guide. It is essential to maintain a dog’s ideal weight. If you have doubted what your dog’s perfect weight might be, contact your local vet for advice.
You can also check our post: How much to feed my dog?
What are the life stages for Boxer?
These are the life stages of a boxer.
Whatever your dog’s breed, the first thing to consider is his age. Boxer puppies will have specific nutritional requirements.
When choosing a brand, you should consider the composition and see what you think your Boxer likes best. It is essential to eat the right amount for the dog’s weight, size, and physical activity. From there, you can choose to try some brands like the ones we compare here.
What is canine hip dysplasia?
Canine Hip Dysplasia (CHD) is a condition that begins in dogs as they grow and results in instability or a loose fit of the hip joint (2)
What causes hip dysplasia?
- Excessive growth rate,
- Types of exercise,
- Improper weight and nutrition
- Genetic predisposition.
Symptoms of hip dysplasia include
- Decreased activity and range of motion
- Difficulty or reluctance rising, jumping, running, or climbing stairs
- Lameness in the hind end
- Loss of thigh muscle mass, increased shoulder muscles
- Stiffness or limping
Unfortunately, larger breeds like boxers might suffer from Hip dysplasia.
Here are few ideas of what to look at when considering getting a boxer puppy
- Certified breeder– check for parent scans and X-rays for the puppy.
- Appropriate food– boxer puppy food has to include calcium and glucosamine to strengthen bones and joints.
- Proper exercise and a healthy diet maintaining an ideal weight are crucial as the extra weight might damage joints and cause further illnesses. Do not feed table scraps and fatty foods.
My top choice for best dog food for Boxers is Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Chicken & Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food.
A Boxer must get the most nutritious food. High in calcium and protein, this kibble is the overall winner.
Choose your best dog food for Boxers Here: