This is our review of the best low residue cat food.
As a feline Nutritionist and pet owner, I have bought various types of foods for my cats. My main concern always was how to provide the best nutrition for my pets.
I believe that our pets deserve the best possible food that we can provide.
In this article, I aim to show:
- top formulas for low residue cat food,
- what to look for when buying low residue cat food,
- When to consider low residue cat food.
So you can make an informed choice if particular cat food is best for your pet.
With so many options available on cat food shelves, it is easy to be overwhelmed which is the best low residue cat food overall.
I recommend Wellness Complete Health Pate Chicken Entree Grain-Free Canned Cat Food as the best overall low residue cat food.
But every cat is different. So I researched the best low residue cat food in every category to help you make the best decision for your cat.
Keep reading for more details.
Best Low Residue Cat Food
Wellness Complete Health Pate Chicken Entree Grain-Free Canned Cat Food (Best Overall Low Residue Cat Food)
Farmina N&D Prime Chicken & Pomegranate Recipe Kitten Dry Food (Best Low Residue Cat Food for Kittens)
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Mature Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Canned Cat Food (Best Low Residue Cat Food For Seniors)
Annamaet Grain-Free Chicken & Fish Formula Dry Cat Food (Best Budget Low Residue Cat Food)
Nulo Freestyle Turkey & Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Canned Cat & Kitten Food (Best Premium Low Residue Cat Food)
Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain-Free Chicken Pate Canned Cat Food (Best Low Residue Cat Food for Weight Control)
Purina Beyond Grain-Free Trout & Catfish Pate Recipe Canned Cat Food (Best Low Residue Cat Food for Sensitive Digestion Cats)
7 Low residue Cat Food Reviewed
All formulas meet AAFCO Guidelines for pet food.
Always consult with your veterinarian before making changes to your cat’s diet.
First 5 Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Liver, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Carrots
Key Feature: No Corn No Wheat No Soy, Grain-Free, Pea-Free
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 10.5%, Crude Fat: 7%, Crude Fiber: 1%, Moisture: 78%
Caloric Content: 182 kcal/can
Type of Product: Wet Food/ Pate
Life Stage: formulated for all life stages
Best For: Low Residue Cat Food Overall
- 100% grain-free adult recipe features chicken as the first ingredient for the protein needed to support lean muscles.
- Supports the 5 signs of cat wellness—a healthy skin and coat, healthy digestive system, bright eyes and strong teeth and gums, and high energy and immune health.
- Contains antioxidant-rich cranberries, vitamins, balanced minerals, omega fatty acids and essential taurine to support immunity and well-being.
- Helps keep your cat hydrated and supports urinary health with healthy moisture from real broth in every can.
- Zero grains and carrageenan, or artificial preservatives, colors or flavors.
These cans do not have a pull tab and will require a can opener.
Reviews share that calorie-dense, so you don’t have to feed as much food to meet your cat’s daily caloric needs. However, some picky cats might not like the flavor.
First 5 Ingredients: Boneless Chicken, Dehydrated Chicken, Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Fat, Dried Whole Eggs
Key Feature: Natural, GMO-Free, Low Glycemic, Grain-Free
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 44%, Crude Fat: 20%, Crude Fiber: 1.8%, Moisture: 8%
Caloric Content: 412 Kcal/cup
Type of Product: Dry Food
Life Stage: Kittens/ Growth
Best For: Low Residue Cat Food For Kittens
- This kitten food offers the concentrated nutrition that growing kittens need in a grain-free formula. Boneless Chicken is the first ingredient, providing a high-quality protein source that is also rich in vitamins and minerals.
- 98% of protein is derived from animal sources.
- The 19.23% estimated carbohydrate content boosts energy for playful kittens without contributing to excessive weight gain. There are no refined carbohydrates used in this grain-free recipe.
- Contains no peas, whole legumes, meals, or by-products.
- Whole fruits and vegetables act as sources of complex carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. Growing cats need adequate nutrients to support healthy development.
Reviews share pet parents had no trouble transferring to the Farmina brand from previous food. But some picky kittens may not like the taste.
First 5 Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Potatoes, Pea Flour
Key Feature: High-Protein, Grain-Free, No Corn No Wheat No Soy
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 8%, Crude Fat: 5.5%, Crude Fiber: 2%, Moisture: 78%
Caloric Content: 96 kcal/3 oz can, 176 kcal/5.5 oz can
Type of Product: Wet Food/ Pate
Life Stage: Seniors
Best For: Seniors, which is generally cats over the age of 7
- Start with real chicken to aid healthy muscle growth.
- Formulated with DHA and taurine to help support cognitive development and heart health.
- Does not contain any grain, gluten, by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
If you have an elderly cat, which has lost some of its teeth. This product is pate formula, the food is very finely minced, and there should be no morsels. It can be further softened using a spoon or fork to help separate the food once removed from the can.
Reviews show that cats with a picky taste like the flavor. This product has been an excellent help for cats with kidney and urinary issues.
First 5 Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Field Peas, Dried Eggs
Key Feature: High-Protein, Grain-Free, No Corn No Wheat No Soy, Non-GMO, Human-Grade, Low Glycemic, Indoor, Weight Control, GMO-Free
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 44%, Crude Fat: 20%, Crude Fiber: 3%, Moisture: 10%
Caloric Content: 390 kcal/cup
Type of Product: Grain-Free, No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy, Gluten-Free, High Protein
Life Stage: Adult
Best For: Budget Low Residue Cat Food
94% of this formula’s protein is derived from animal protein.
The first ingredient is chicken meal, which is not a quality protein; however, it has health benefits.
- This cat food supports urinary tract health with natural antioxidants from blueberries and cranberries,
- Marine microalgae which provide a source of omega-3 fatty acids,
- Prebiotics and probiotics are added to help promote beneficial gastrointestinal flora,
- Contains taurine, an essential nutrient for cats that is important for healthy vision, GI function, heart health, and immune system function.
Their products are holistic and GMO-free
All Annamaet formulas are bite-size kibble which is about the size of a pea.
Reviews show that transfer to this product was easy from the previous brand. Mixed reviews regard the cat’s tastes and likes.
First 5 Ingredients: Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Liver, Turkey Broth, Tuna
Key Feature: Grain-Free, No Corn No Wheat No Soy, Gluten Free, High-Protein, Low Glycemic, Pea-Free, Non-GMO
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 11%, Crude Fat: 6.5%, Crude Fiber: 0.75%, Moisture: 78%
Caloric Content: 193 kcal/can
Type of Product: Wet food/ Pate
Life Stage: Kitten/ Adult
Best For: Premium Low Residue Cat Food
This low premium carb and residue cat food feature an impressive 11% of protein.
The first three ingredients have high-quality protein.
In addition, the liver is not just an excellent source of protein; it is packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It offers significantly more nutrient-dense than muscle meat alone.
Turkey broth provides essential moisture in your cat’s dish for urinary tract health.
Tuna in small portions is good for Omega 3 fatty acids to maintain a healthy coat.
Additional benefits include.
- Packed with whole-body health nutrients like vitamins, minerals, omegas, and essential taurine for overall well-being,
- Complete and balanced diet for adult cats and kittens, with zero grains, carrageenan, meat by-products, corn, wheat, soy or artificial preservatives, colors, or flavoring.
Cat owners who have purchased this food have noticed the difference in cats’ skin and coat. The pate is not as moist as some similar brands, but the cats did not mind. Some picky eaters might not like the flavor.
First 5 Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product
Key Feature: Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, No Corn No Wheat No Soy, High-Protein, Pea-Free
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 10%, Crude Fat: 5%, Crude Fiber: 1%, Moisture: 78%
Caloric Content: 94 kcal/can
Type of Product: Wet Food/ Pate
Life Stage: Kitten/ Adult (When feeding kittens, feed up to twice the adult recommended amount)
Best For: Low Residue Cat Food For Weight Control
An excellent quality real meat as the first ingredient provides lean protein for your cat’s balanced nutrition. Lean meats provide all necessary for a strong heart, good vision, and a healthy reproductive system.
- Grain-free recipe,
- Formulated to provide a complete and balanced diet for cats and kittens, with a targeted blend of vitamins, minerals, and taurine,
- Packed with antioxidants for immune health and omega-3 fatty acids to support healthy skin and coat,
- Delectable pate texture is great for picky eaters and provides essential moisture to keep your cat hydrated and healthy.
Weight gain usually occurs when a cat overeats or doesn’t exercise enough, or both. Obesity leads to the accumulation of fat in the abdomen and may result in abdominal enlargement.
The cat food packaging guidelines are usually very generous, so start with half the amount and see if your cat is still hungry.
Reviews show that picky eaters like the taste and texture of this product. Also, it has had good reviews in regards to helping with IBS.
First 5 Ingredients: Trout, Fish Broth, Chicken, Liver, Catfish
Key Feature: Sensitive Digestion
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein: 10%, Crude Fat: 5%, Crude Fiber: 1.5%, Moisture: 78%
Caloric Content: 99 kcal/can
Type of Product: Wet food/ Pate
Life Stage: Adult
Best For: Low Residue Cat Food for Sensitive Digestion
- This formula has Trout as its first ingredient, this is a great source of protein for your cat. In addition, there is chicken as animal based protein.
- The fish broth will provide water content for cats, which are known to be shy drinkers.
- The high-protein wet cat food pate is made with no poultry by-product meal and no corn, wheat, or soy.
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives go into this natural wet cat food which is made with added vitamins, minerals, and nutrients to help support your cat’s overall health.
Reviews show that cat owners thought the food was good quality with no fillers or artificial add ons, but a bit pricey. Some picky eaters might not like the flavor. Cat owners have noticed health improvements like shiny coats and infections getting better while feeding these products to their cats.
Best Buy Guide
What is Low Residue Food?
Low residue cat food is a specialized type of food that helps in alleviating constipation in cats.
Like humans, cats might experience constipation- an abnormal build-up of feces in the cat’s intestine.
This can be very painful and uncomfortable for a cat.
How To Tell If A Cat Is Constipated?
Cat owners might notice a change in cats’ behavior and daily routine.
- Litter box is empty.
- Cats might complain while trying to use the litter box.
- Cats might leave small pieces of poop around the house.
- Change in poop size and shape.
- Pet might not like his tummy to be touched.
What Causes Constipation In Cats?
There might be several reasons why a cat might experience constipation issues, but the main ones are:
- Low water intake,
- Stress, like moving house or change in routine,
- Change of food (fed dry food only),
- Digestive health issues and/ or disease.
Ingredients To Look For When Buying Low Residue Cat Food?
Generally, food should be low fiber, but a small amount is still good.
Certain types of bacteria live in the intestine and help keep the intestine free from bacteria and build-up in the colon that can cause problems. A blend of high-quality fibers can enhance large bowel health by nourishing this healthy bacteria. However, the fiber content needs to be low enough that minimal waste is produced by eating the food.
Highly Digestible Ingredients
- Animal protein is the easiest to digest for a cat.
- Fat for energy sources and no more than 4% of fiber is a good option.
- High moisture content will help with digestion.
- The food should be low in grains and carbohydrates as cats don’t digest these easily.
Other Healthy ingredients
Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids help with the skin and also help keep digestion moving.
Is Constipation Dangerous For A Cat?
Constipation itself is not dangerous, but it is not a good experience for your cat overall. Constipation can be painful, can cause vomiting, loss of appetite, and depression.
If your cat is constipated for more than two days, take them to veterinary practice.
How Many Times Cats Should Poop?
It depends on the specific pet. Some might go to the litter box once or twice per day. More than three times would be considered mild diarrhea.
However, some cats can go once every two days. Owners will have to assess their pet, but if the cat is having trouble using the litter box, they will let the owner know.
Feeding your cat a low residue diet can help manage the health conditions associated with feline constipation.
I recommend Wellness Complete Health Pate Chicken Entree Grain-Free Canned Cat Food as the best low residue cat food overall.
Talk to your veterinarian today to determine if your cat may benefit from transitioning to a low residue cat food.
Choose your best low residue cat food here.