Good quality food is one way to ensure your loved dog will have a long and healthy life.
However, every dog is different and needs dog food that is nutritionally balanced and tastes good.
I have tested top market products and found Purina ONE SmartBlend Chicken & Rice Adult Formula Dry Dog Food to be the best dog food for Golden Retrievers overall.
As a canine Nutritionist and pet owner, I have tested various foods. My main concern always was my dog’s health as they would get older.
Some breeds like golden Retrieves tend to have Heart, Skin, Joint, and Eye issues, which might only show later on in their lives. They need to get the best possible nutrition to set them up for healthy adulthood and old age at an early puppy age.
Good diets help keep Golden Retrievers healthy. Dogs are at their fittest when they are the right weight. Keeping to a lower weight can even help improve cranial cruciate ligament disease risk. Best dog food for Golden Retrievers could help to achieve this.
At every life stage dogs, nutritional needs might change.
We have reviewed 5 top choices for best dog food for Golden Retrievers.
See our top choices below.
Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers
Because different life stages lead to different needs for your pup, we select the best food for Golden Retrievers from when they are puppies to when entering old age. Have a look!
Purina ONE SmartBlend Chicken & Rice Adult Formula Dry Dog Food (Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Overall)
American Journey Puppy Lamb & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Puppy Formula)
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Adult Formula)
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Senior Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food (Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Senior Formula)
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Chicken Dinner with Garden Vegetables & Brown Rice Canned Dog Food (Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Canned Formula)
Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Review
Because Golden Retriever nutrition needs change during different life stages, we offer 5 top choices for you to choose from.
Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Overall
Top 5 ingredients
Chicken, Rice Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal
Hight natural source of Glucosamine, High in Omega-6, 0% Fillers
Crude Protein 26.0%, Crude Fat 16.0%, Crude Fiber 3.0%, Moisture 12.0%
- High chicken and another high-quality protein source, which help support strong muscles and a healthy heart.
- Essential fatty acids Omega-3 and Omega-6. Our bodies use these fatty acids (both omega-3 and omega-6) to make compounds involved with our response to injury and infection. (1) In addition, it makes your dog’s coat radiant and skin healthy.
- Glucosamine: high amount of naturally occurring glucosamine helps to support healthy joints.
- Dietary Fibres: for easier digestion and stomach function.
How many cups of food come in a 31 lb bag?
There will be approximately 4 cups per pound of kibble. The 8-pound bag will have close to 32 cups, the 16.5-pound bag close to 66 cups, the 31.1-pound bag close to 124 cups, and the 40-pound bag close to 160 cups.
How many calories are in one cup of dry food?
This recipe contains approximately 383 calories per cup.
Will this help with joint issues?
This variety contains glucosamine to help support healthy joints. If your pet may have a specific health concern, we recommend consulting your Veterinarian to see what would be the safest for your pet’s current treatment plan.
What size is the kibble?
The dimensions for the kibble are approximately 13 x 7 millimeters.
What exactly is animal digest?
Animal digest is created from protein sources such as pork and poultry’s muscle and soft tissue. It goes through a process similar to the natural digestion in an animal’s body, where the word “digest” comes from.
It’s highly palatable and used to enhance the taste of your pet’s food.
Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Puppy Formula
Top 5 ingredients
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Peas, Chickpeas
Skin & Coat Health, Immune Support, Vitamins & Minerals, Brain Health
Crude Protein 30% min, Crude Fat 12% min, Crude Fiber 5.0% max, Moisture 10% max
To ensure healthy growth for Goldie puppies, the diet should be species-appropriate with a balanced proportion of calories, minerals, trace elements, and vitamins. (2)
- Chicken: protein and amino acids for lean muscles. The best golden retriever puppy food has to have at least 22.5% protein(which comes from a high-quality source such as chicken or beef), at least 8.5% fat, and is made of quality ingredients by a reputable brand.
- Veggies and fruits– antioxidants for a healthier immune system and dietary fiber for better digestion.
- Omega fatty acids, including DHA– support the healthy development of the brain and eyes. They naturally sourced Omega and flax oils for healthy skin and coats.
- Free From: Corn, Grains- including wheat, soy. Great for Golden puppies who might develop food allergies and sensitivities.
- Energy boost– fiber-rich chickpeas and sweet potatoes in the recipe.
What is this product’s kibble size?
The Kibble Size is 10 x 5 millimeters.
How many cups are in the 24-pound bag?
There will be approximately 4 cups of kibble per pound. The 4-pound bag will have close to 16 cups, the 12-pound bag close to 48 cups, and the 24-pound bag close to 96 cups.
Was a veterinary nutritionist consulted in the creation of this food?
American Journey is formulated by top industry professionals with over 20 years of experience in the industry combined. American Journey follows the AAFCO guidelines when developing.
Are these bags resealable?
These bags are not resealable.
Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Adult Formula
Top 5 ingredients
Water Buffalo, Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Potatoes
Immune support, skin and coat health, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, High-Protein
Crude protein 32.0% min, Crude Fat 18.0% min, Crude fibre 4.0% max, Moisture 10.0% max
Taste of The Wild can provide protein, vitamins, and minerals to keep your dog healthy and happy:
- It is made with real buffalo, roasted venison, and beef- for lean nutrition and to support strong muscle build.
- Powerful antioxidants– berries, blueberries, and vegetables to support overall health.
- No grain, corn, wheat, filler, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives- keeping the food recipe as natural as possible.
- Added probiotic– helping with your dog’s digestive health.
- Taste of The Wild Dog Food range is made in the USA. Using ingredients from long-term trusted suppliers.
How big is the kibble?
The kibbles in Taste of the Wild adult canine and All Life Stages formulas are a flat, round disc shape and approximately the diameter of a dime.
Is this a resealable bag?
This bag is not resealable.
How is this food made?
The food is manufactured using a process called extrusion. The extruder operates like a giant, continuous flow pressure cooker. The ingredients are cooked using heat (185 degrees Fahrenheit), pressure, and mechanical shear.
As the product exits the extruder, it passes through a die that gives the kibble its shape. A knife cuts the kibble to the correct length. The food is dried to a moisture of 8-10%, is screened, and then a flavoring enhancer and canola oil or chicken fat are applied.
The formula is screened again and then packaged.
How many cups are there in a bag?
There will be approximately 4 cups of kibble per pound. The 5-pound bag will have close to 20 cups, the 14-pound bag close to 56 cups, and the 28-pound bag close to 112 cups.
The larger Taste of the Wild dry foods does not include a measuring cup.
Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Senior Formula
Top 5 ingredients
Deboned Chicken, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Meal
No Corn No Wheat No Soy
Crude protein 20.0% min, Crude Fat 10.0% min, Crude fiber 7.0% max, Moisture 10.0% max
As Golden Retrievers reach old age, it is essential to adjust the diet given to your dog. Senior Goldies might suffer from joint pain, and their activity levels might not be as high as they used to be.
Blue buffalo life Protection formula contains all necessary nutrients and minerals for the best dog food for senior Golden Retriever:
- Glucosamine and chondroitin: joint health.
- Omega 3 and 6- healthy skin and coat.
- Contains carbohydrates: for energy supply.
- Vitamins: contains calcium, phosphorus, and essential vitamins for stronger bones and teeth.
- Antioxidants: blueberries and cranberries for immune health.
At what age should you start feeding senior food?
The age for when a senior diet like this is appropriate will vary depending on your dog’s activity level. Around the age of 6 or 7, you may start to notice changes in eating, energy, or bodyweight that signifies your dog is in his senior years.
You can always check with your vet to confirm your specific dog.
How many cups are in a 30 lb bag?
There are approximately 4 cups of kibble in every one pound of dry dog food. This 30-pound bag contains about 120 cups.
How big is the kibble?
The kibble is 1-inch triangles with small life source bites.
Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers Canned Food
Top 5 ingredients
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Carrots, Peas
No Corn No Wheat No Soy
Crude protein 8.5% min, Crude Fat 5.5% min, Crude fiber 1.5% max, Moisture 78.0% max
Adult pups, dogs with UTI, kidney issues, and diabetic canines.
Wet dog food has a greater water content; therefore, this is a great way to help your dog hydrate.
By increasing water content in your dog’s food, you decrease the strain of the dog’s internal organs like kidneys, as well as the urinary tract.
Canned dog food can be recommended for dogs suffering from kidney problems and diabetic dogs.
- Does not contain any by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, or preservatives.
- Serve as a special treat, mixed with dry food or all on its own as an entree.
- It comes in a can- meaty chunks in a soupy mixture- easy to mix with kibble.
What consistency is this food? My dog has no teeth.
This food has a smooth pate consistency. This is a completely balanced meal with a soft pate texture, perfect for dogs with few or no teeth.
Is there an expiration date on cans? After opening?
You should cover any BLUE dog or cat food container and refrigerate it once opened. You can store canned food covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Do the cans come with a resealable lid?
This canned food diet does not come with resealable lids.
Buying Guide For Best Dog Food For Golden Retrievers
How much to feed best dog food for Golden Retrievers?
There are simple guides on every dog food pack. However, they are very generous and are aimed at un-neutered or pregnant dogs most of the time.
If in doubt, your local vet practitioner will be able to advise on your dog’s specific food amount needs.
Here are some general feeding guidelines:
- Two Months Old: 1 ½ cups a day
- Three Months Old: 2 cups a day
- Four Months Old: 2 ½ cups a day
- Five To Six Months Old: 3 cups a day
- Six To Seven Months Old (male pups only): 3 ½ to 4 cups a day (females should stay on 3 cups/day) (4)
Generally, divide the amount of food into four meals during the day. Spreading out is essential as large meals can upset small stomachs.
- Females: 2 to 2 ½ cups a day
- Males: 3 to 3 ½ cups a day
- Active Males: 4 cups a day
- Nursing Females: 5 to 6 cups a day
Aim feeding two times a day. In the morning and the evening. Some dogs might prefer one big meal per day.
Kibble V Wet Food
The fundamental difference between wet and dry food is primarily different water content. While dry food has a moisture content of just 3 to 12%, this is between 60 to 84% for wet food. (5)
This means that dog will need to eat three times as much wet food as kibble to gain caloric value.
Kibble is great as it keeps fresh longer. It comes in larger portion size bags, which means less packaging for the environment.
There are divided views on whether kibble is better for a dog’s teeth. Does it clean teeth or leave residue after a meal. This will not be an issue for those owners who regularly brush their dog’s teeth.
Wet food is messier around the bowl and needs to be bought in larger quantities if you are a Golden Retriever owner. However, wet food can be God-sent if a dog is shy to drink water.
What Ingredients are a must-have in the best dog food for Golden Retrievers?
This should be the first item on dog food’s ingredients list. Normally chicken, beef, lamb, venison in commercial dog food.
This might throw your “off’ at first. But this is more protein-rich gram for gram than a whole chicken. This also is rich in nutrients.
Grains and Carbohydrates
In recent years grains have become a controversial topic in dog food. However, as long as your dog does not have a sensitivity or allergy to grains, this can be a very nutritious option for your dog.
Carbohydrates provide your pet with energy. Corn, soy, and whole wheat are considered lower quality ingredients, but rice, oats, barley, and peas are better. These should be lower on the ingredient list after meat sources. Good grains can provide your dog with good digestion.
Veggies and Fruits
Although this is not something your dog needs, they are a great source of vitamins and minerals.
- Sweet potatoes are a great source of potassium, vitamin B, beta-carotene, and antioxidants that specifically help fight against cancer-causing agents.
- Blueberries and apples are excellent sources of fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants.
- Cranberries may assist with urinary tract infections and help with dental hygiene by killing certain bacteria (6)
Fats are perfect for a healthy coat and skin. It is needed for proper digestion and cell function. Look for Omega 3,6, and 9 and flaxseed oil.
Vitamins, nutrients, and minerals
These are needed for many chemical reactions in your dog’s body, such as building bones and keeping them strong. (7)
- Vitamin A for a healthy coat.
- Vitamin B complex for the nervous system, brain function, and growth of blood cells, B12 maintains healthy digestion.
- Vitamin C is great for the immune system (note that dogs make their Vitamin C)
These keep your dog food fresh for longer. However, look for preservatives such as tocopherols and ascorbic acid, as these come from natural sources.
A dog needs to have access to drinking water. If a dog loses even 10% of its body water reserve, it can be in real danger or die.
Always to have fresh water available for your dog. Especially when eating and in hot weather.
Each life stage requires a slightly different balance of nutrients in a dog’s diet. Looking overall at the best dog food for Golden Retrievers, my vote is Purina ONE SmartBlend Chicken & Rice Adult Formula Dry Dog Food.
This product provides a balanced diet starting with 26.0% on Crude protein to all essential vitamins and minerals.
The price tag is competitive and cheaper than similar brands in the category.
Choose your best dog food for Golden Retrievers here.